As I was sweeping the floor this morning (ah – the glamorous life I live *sigh*) I was thinking about the things that I’ve truly cherished in the past few days. The reason I choose the word cherish is because it has a few meanings and I think the things I’m about to list, in some way, cover all of them. I feel love for these things, some more deeply than others but all are loved in some capacity. I care for and nurture a few of these, again, to varying degrees and lastly I definitely cling dearly to them. I pray that I don’t hold them too tightly as to become idols or to elevate them above their proper place but they are things that (to be completely sappy) have some sort of cling-a-bility in my heart.
I was also thinking how these things have and will change with each different season of life. So I wanted to document them for today. November 26, 2009. At the age of 32. With a lovely husband and 3 elementary school-aged children. These are some of the things I cherish.
- Falling asleep whilst getting a head massage from my very patient and kind husband
- Having my baby er…6 year old crawl into our bed in the wee hours of the morning and being sure to state, “I’m only here because I like it here, mommy.” Meaning – don’t worry, I didn’t have a bad dream and I don’t have to go pee. Your bed is just the coziest spot in the house. He’s right!
- My bone crushing hug from Hayden each morning in his completely sleepy, still-rubbing-eyes-cause-its-too-bright state.
- My friends Lindsey and Carman who write me letters! Yes, letters! By hand. On charming paper. Oh I love them. I wish I would write back. One day..
- Chocolate. Any kind. I’m not picky.
- My brand-spanking new nephew.
- School pick up time and chit-chatting with the friends I’ve made there.
- 6:30 – 7 am. The time that I am the only one awake and the house is completely silent with nothing expected of me and I can sit on the sofa next to the fireplace with my spurgeon book and my bible and spend half an hour immersing myself into God’s Word and preparing my heart before Him for this day that He has given me.
- Owen’s mad kung-fu skills. (Not even one lesson!)
- My dishwasher. (that just finished and now needs to be emptied)
What are a few things that you cherish in your current season of life?